The main tasks are
- development of strategies and programs of research agenda and responsibilities for the institute in close cooperation with the management of research.
- definition and implementation of measures concerning quality assurance (e.g. assessment scientific performance via indicators, in-house research conferences)
- preparation, scheduling and organization of internal and external evaluations, support of the academic board and users’ advisory board
- Fextending a network of cooperation partners and fostering the collaboration with universities and research institutes
- continuous organization and coorganization of scientific conferences (e.g. ILS-colloquium, interdisciplinary events)
- general processing of tasks concerning research management and support (e.g. EU research funding)
The institute’s own library is also part of the unit research coordination. With more than 45,000 volumes and approx. 120 current journals, it is one of the largest spatial science libraries in Germany. The ILS library is a reference library and is open to external visitors during opening hours. In addition, the library management offers extensive services and advice online, by telephone, and in person.